SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Adventures Renewed...



Once upon a time, many moons ago, when my two daughters were little, I learned how to sew. I stumbled upon the boutique clothing community on Ebay and saw such beautiful clothes being created. I decided right there and then I needed to learn how to sew. Like needed needed. So I did. 

I asked my mother in law to show me how to read a pattern and teach me the basics of using a sewing machine. And I was off! I was a full time stay at home mom and every night I would choose a clothing pattern to work through. I would stay up super late and apres dinner coffee was my best friend. 

Eventually I took a few classes locally; quilting, bag making and such at local quilt shops. I had my found my people! And so it began, my love affair with fabrics and creating.



I had so much fun launching my clothing company. I loved every second of creating pretty things. I mean, look at my little muses! Could they have been any cuter?! They drove everything I created. So I would mom all day and create late into the night. I did that for many years, and I did well. I manufactured, launched a website, employed people. But I was young and very inexperienced and made lots of poor business choices. So after four years, I stopped. I had burned out. 

Here and there I would pull out my fabrics and sew something. Then I would put it aside for awhile. I would make quilts as gifts. I made all the curtains in my home. I made bags for myself and friends. I created when I wanted to and not because I had to. 

During that time we moved to North Carolina from New York. A huge leap of faith. I was still a stay at home mom, my girls older by then in the end of their elementary school years. After about a year here, I decided to go back to work full time as a teacher, which was what I was educated in. I fell back in love with teaching. It is still one of my number one passions. Connecting with my students and their families and becoming a part of their educational journey is just an absolute honor.

And I would still come back to sewing here and there because it relaxed me. I still loved creating.

As we all know, Covid-19 hit. Over night, our lives were turned upside down. Now I was remotely teaching from home. It was not an easy task for any of us. My district provided great support and leadership, so we plugged along. And it worked out. I found I had more down time not commuting, and needed something to take my mind off of the state of the world, so I turned back to my roots and started sewing and creating again. The thing with sewing is your mind is completely involved in what it is doing; you don’t have time to obsess over anything else. 






With all of this creating, I started religiously following quilters and sewers on Instagram and found myself updating my own often and continually planning new projects, collecting new fabrics, which any sewer will tell you is one of their favorite past times.

Thus, Serendipity in Love Creations was born and I opened my Etsy shop. Realizing the joy creating gives me, it is full speed ahead. Life is too short to not enjoy your time. Do what you love. Take risks. Be present. 

Thanks for reading and be well!


 xoxo - Christine 


Post a Comment